Saturday, May 30, 2015

Exciting News on the Job Front





I have kept it secret for a long time now, but unfortunately I am no longer with Google. 

I was on a one year contract that started in October of 2013 and came to an end in October of 2014. 

It was a great position with lots of learning opportunities. I enjoyed working for Google, but unfortunately there was not a permanent position available for me at the time my contract was up. 

After my contract ended I was in a bit of a slump... Do I look for jobs right away, take advantage of unemployment or do nothing....

I chose to take advantage of unemployment. How I see it is;  I paid into it and its only my money coming back to me. Its as I would call a sort of savings account for the just in case moments in life. 

So there I was on unemployment and enjoying life. I can say I was enjoying life because unemployment was very good to me. I received almost full paid benefits. It was only a few hundred dollars a month  less then from when I was working full time. This was nice. I had to cut back on unnecessary spending but I was still able to pay bills, and enjoy life. 

The holidays came and went and it was nice being able to stay home and enjoy this time. Jake and I got Odin and it was a blessing. We had talked about getting a dog and thought what better time then, then to get one since I was home, and able to take care of a him 24/7. 

Six blissful months went by, and I got the dreaded letter... Saying my unemployment benefits had run out. RUN OUT, what do you mean run out? So I immediately called and found out that unemployment benefits are only paid for six months now and there are no extensions. So I had no more benefits coming in. This meant that Jake would be the full financial provider for us until I could find something. 

After this blissful six months I found my self in a panic to find another job. Not only because I needed a job but because I wanted one. I applied for EVERYTHING and I mean everything. From cashier positions at home depot, to manager positions at petco. I applied. 

I got several interviews and actually got an interview at google for a security position. I made it all the way to final interviewing and was the second runner up. I was so bummed. To get that far in the interview process and to be runner up was crushing. 

After I found out my unemployment ended I got extremely depressed. Jake noticed it right away and didn't know what to do to get me out of my funk. He tried everything... And after being runner up for google it got even worse. 

Until this past few weeks...

I had several interviews with several competing companies and was job offerd a position at the beginning of May. Unfortuanatly I was not super excited to take this position... However I knew I needed a job and I had to accept it, until a better opportunity came up. Thankfully a lot went wrong in the process of being hired. 

It started with being job offered and sent home to wait until my bakground went through, but only 15 minutes after leaving I was told I needed to come back to take a drug test. At the time I was job offered, I was told the job did not require one, and I was a little skeptical... Anyways long story short, I had to take  a drug test, so I did, and went on my way to wait for a call back on a start date. That call never came... So almost two weeks later I followed up and asked what was going on. Come to find out the facility I took my drug test at lost my test. Just lost it, and had no explanation. So I had to take another drug test, and so I did, and again waited. I waited for about 9 days until I finally called them to follow up. They told me that everything passed great, and that I was able to come in and start training the following day. Yay. I had a job, even though there were hiccups I was going to start bringing in income.  So I went in for my first day of training and mid way through the day, HR came in and said they were unable to put me in their system... REALLY? After all the mess with the drug test now this.... It was because I was applying for a company that I worked with through google. With google I would go into stores that we partnered with and purchase merchandise for the Google Shopping Express Project. So at many stores and locations I had my own cashier ID. I was never hired by these companies but I was in the system as having access to ringing transactions... I was a vendor, not an employee. So when this came up during my first day of training I was so frustrated. The company had me currently employed at a different location, and no one could figure out how to get me into the correct store. So I went home with one day of training and HR telling me they would figure it out. 


Thankfully I had been interviewing with other companies. My top choice called me and offered me a position yesterday. Jake and I were jumping for joy! I couldn't believe that after all the crap with the other job that the one I had been hoping for the entire time was actually mine. The position is an entry level position with lots of opportunity for advancement. My manager is someone I truly want to get to know on a personal level and feel that I will connect with her instantly. I can't wait to start this new position on Tuesday. 

So with all of this great news I still had the other job lumming over me. I called HR and explain that during the time I was job offered (mind you this was over 5 weeks ago) until now I had to accept another position. They understood and weren't surprised by the news of me quitting, well I don't know if I would call it quitting I never really started... Anyways with that behind me I am looking forward to this new position. 

It is a position in Loss Prevention, and I am so excited to be back at it. Loss Prevention is a passion of mine and when you have it you have it. Its funny I explained this to my new boss during the interview and she completely got it. Security and Loss Prevention become part of who you are as a person... I find myself looking at people when I am doing regular shopping and noticing their behaviors. 

Its funny coming from a girl who NEVER in a million years thought I would love it the way I do. But its a part of me. Its like a second nature, or vital instinct. 

I am not going to announce where the position is because I want to keep it private for a little while, but lets just say its very very similar to my position at Neiman Marcus. 

Over all through this process of being laid off and finding an amazing job, Jake has stood by my side. He has been so supportive, both emotionally and financially. It has been such a great test in our relationship. It has at times brought us closer and at times made us fight. But in the end I love him more and more because of his actions and encouraging words. h=He said to me at the beginning "Don't stress, it will be ok" He has been there for me through this entire process and I can't thank him enough for encouraging me. It shows me that even when we hit rough patches in life, he will support me no matter what. 

Over all I am sad google is over but am looking forward to what this new adventure brings. 

My hopes are that I become a little less depressed, and can help financially support us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment